Our Window Farm Project :
!! this is a work in progress, so please chip in with ideas, solutions and of course questions :-)
Inspired by the above New York WindowFarms project, the aim is to develop an integrated topic that is suitable for both primary and secondary students.
As the pilot project progresses we will include examples of the students work.
Basic Plan :
Stage 1 : Discussion with students. What do plants need & where do they grow?
Stage 2 : Experiments : testing growing mediums, nutrients & lighting requirements.
Stage 3 : Monitoring the experiments using Digital Diary/Logbook, video, photos, spreadsheet
Stage 4 : Results, and conclusions. Decisions and Planning the WindowFarm
Stage 5 : Building the WindowFarm
Stage 6 : The bigger picture : Concept presentations showing students designs for City Farms
Stage 7 : Monitoring and Digital Diary/Logbook
Stage 8 : Eat the results & Final Presentation
Stage 9 : Share with and Mentor others
Included in the above students will make contact with experts to ask questions, get advice and explore beyond the limitations of the classroom. It is intended that Glow will be used as part of this engagement process.
Links to the Project Pages :
The Pilot Project at Lawthorn Primary
Hydroponic Experiment 1: Making the Wick System
Hydroponic Experiment 1: Pupils planting up
Digital Story Telling : Day 1: Taking Photos, Making Movies!
Digital Story Telling : Day 2 : Animation
Images & Movies : Movies : Image Gallery
USEFUL LINKS :
Hydroponics in Schools ..
Choosing your growing medium : Experiments to do before..
Information : Exploring Classroom Hydroponics
Information : The Growing Edge
Linking Schools & Developing World : Hydroponics4Life
Basic 3 Plant AirLift System PDF : New Version
Basic 3 Plant AirLift System PDF : Original Version
You should download both of the above, as original gives information not included on the new one.
Suspended System : To follow
Our System :
Still being designed :-)
Possible Equipment Suppliers ..
Hozelock Tubing : Garden4Less
General : Hydroponics Eu - Looks expensive & Priced in €
Local & Very Helpful : Glasgrow Hydroponics
Scottish : Achiltibuie Gardens
Lighting : Daylight Bulbs : 240v :
Lighting : 12v :
Float switches : Deeter
Other similar projects..
WindowFarms : The Original Project
Finish Museum : WindowFarms Finland
Farms in Space :
NASA : Farming for the Future
Farms don't need to be flat..
Plants will grow nearly anywhere there are the correct conditions. They grow on hills, mountains, under the sea, and they will grow on buildings, if we give them what they need..
More here : Living Walls, Vertical Gardens & Sky Farms
Other links :
Chris Jacobs : Vertical Farm
Huffington Post : Vertical Farms : The Future Of Sustainable Farming
The Digital Learning Foundation is a registered Educational Charity, SC036588 and a Non-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee, SC282280.
The DLF is dedicated to assisting educators and students adopt new technologies and integrate them into everyday teaching and learning, while inspiring, motivating and making it fun!
Recent blog posts
- Making Maths Education Relevant : Conrad Wolfram
- The Beauty Of A Second : Competition
- Feet CT Scan Present3D Volume Render
- Preview : The Story of Electricity : BBC
- New Messenger Data From Mercury
- Prof John Ellis Interview
- drawing (on) riverside : the process
- Kepler Finds First Planet Candiates In Habitable Zone
- How to : Looping Video on iPod
- Opportunity Celebrates 7 years on Mars
- Curiosity Drills 2nd Hole into Ancient Mars Rocks Searching for the Ingredients of Life
- Lovely Astrophoto: Cottonwoods and the Milky Way
- Gerbils, mice perish as Russian spacecraft returns to Earth
- Astronomers Detect Dust Feature in Comet ISON’s Inner Coma
- Weird Gravity Waves Pulse From a Tropical Cyclone
- Treatment with A1-PI slows the progression of emphysema in Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Monoclonal antibody appears effective and safe in asthma Phase IIa trial
- Exercise levels may predict hospitalizations in COPD population
- Asthma symptoms impair sleep quality and school performance in children
- Antibiotic therapy appears beneficial for patients with COPD
- Delayed transfer to the ICU increases risk of death in hospital patients
- Racial disparities in the surgical management of non-small cell lung cancer
- Child maltreatment increases risk of adult obesity
- Genetic predictors of postpartum depression uncovered by Hopkins researchers
- Early-life traffic-related air pollution exposure linked to hyperactivity