Our Window Farm Project :
!! this is a work in progress, so please chip in with ideas, solutions and of course questions :-)
Inspired by the above New York WindowFarms project, the aim is to develop an integrated topic that is suitable for both primary and secondary students.
As the pilot project progresses we will include examples of the students work.
Basic Plan :
Stage 1 : Discussion with students. What do plants need & where do they grow?
Stage 2 : Experiments : testing growing mediums, nutrients & lighting requirements.
Stage 3 : Monitoring the experiments using Digital Diary/Logbook, video, photos, spreadsheet
Stage 4 : Results, and conclusions. Decisions and Planning the WindowFarm
Stage 5 : Building the WindowFarm
Stage 6 : The bigger picture : Concept presentations showing students designs for City Farms
Stage 7 : Monitoring and Digital Diary/Logbook
Stage 8 : Eat the results & Final Presentation
Stage 9 : Share with and Mentor others
Included in the above students will make contact with experts to ask questions, get advice and explore beyond the limitations of the classroom. It is intended that Glow will be used as part of this engagement process.
Links to the Project Pages :
The Pilot Project at Lawthorn Primary
Hydroponic Experiment 1: Making the Wick System
Hydroponic Experiment 1: Pupils planting up
Digital Story Telling : Day 1: Taking Photos, Making Movies!
Digital Story Telling : Day 2 : Animation
Images & Movies : Movies : Image Gallery
USEFUL LINKS :
Hydroponics in Schools ..
Choosing your growing medium : Experiments to do before..
Information : Exploring Classroom Hydroponics
Information : The Growing Edge
Linking Schools & Developing World : Hydroponics4Life
Basic 3 Plant AirLift System PDF : New Version
Basic 3 Plant AirLift System PDF : Original Version
You should download both of the above, as original gives information not included on the new one.
Suspended System : To follow
Our System :
Still being designed :-)
Possible Equipment Suppliers ..
Hozelock Tubing : Garden4Less
General : Hydroponics Eu - Looks expensive & Priced in €
Local & Very Helpful : Glasgrow Hydroponics
Scottish : Achiltibuie Gardens
Lighting : Daylight Bulbs : 240v :
Lighting : 12v :
Float switches : Deeter
Other similar projects..
WindowFarms : The Original Project
Finish Museum : WindowFarms Finland
Farms in Space :
NASA : Farming for the Future
Farms don't need to be flat..
Plants will grow nearly anywhere there are the correct conditions. They grow on hills, mountains, under the sea, and they will grow on buildings, if we give them what they need..
More here : Living Walls, Vertical Gardens & Sky Farms
Other links :
Chris Jacobs : Vertical Farm
Huffington Post : Vertical Farms : The Future Of Sustainable Farming
The Digital Learning Foundation is a registered Educational Charity, SC036588 and a Non-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee, SC282280.
The DLF is dedicated to assisting educators and students adopt new technologies and integrate them into everyday teaching and learning, while inspiring, motivating and making it fun!
Recent blog posts
- Making Maths Education Relevant : Conrad Wolfram
- The Beauty Of A Second : Competition
- Feet CT Scan Present3D Volume Render
- Preview : The Story of Electricity : BBC
- New Messenger Data From Mercury
- Prof John Ellis Interview
- drawing (on) riverside : the process
- Kepler Finds First Planet Candiates In Habitable Zone
- How to : Looping Video on iPod
- Opportunity Celebrates 7 years on Mars
- Astronauts to Reveal Sobering Data on Asteroid Impacts
- German Impact Crater Could Have Hosted Early Life On Earth
- Speedy Satellite Beams Pictures Of Massive Floods Only Weeks After Reaching Orbit
- Shiny: Astronaut Wears ‘Firefly’ T-Shirt In First Instagram From Space
- Rosetta’s Philae Lander Snaps a Selfie
- Scratching the surface: Microbial etchings in impact glass and the search for life on Mars
- Synapses -- stability in transformation
- Shade grown coffee shrinking as a proportion of global coffee production
- Scientists explain how memories stick together
- First metritis vaccine protects dairy cows
- HIV+ women respond well to HPV vaccine
- Survey: Percent of uninsured Texans has declined since September 2013
- U of T study finds toddlers 'surprisingly sophisticated' at understanding unfamiliar accents
- Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
- Local homicide rate increases cause more elementary students to fail school